Most people have heard of ductless cooling and heating systems today. You also might have seen a small indoor device installed high on the walls in a restaurant, office building or even in friends home. Here are five reasons you should consider installing a mini-split heat pump during your Custom Home Build.
The Are Ductless
- Ductless, which saves on installation costs. For example, a conventional installation of an air conditioner and the ductwork required can cost several thousand dollars for the ductwork installation alone. These savings will offset the initial cost of a mini-split heat pump, which can be installed by the electrician already on our site, also saving some costs related to having to use another contractor. http://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/heating-and-cooling/install-an-ac-unit/
They Are Efficient
- Efficient, providing heating or cooling using less energy than typical AC and heating. One source estimates that “heat pumps are capable of providing more than 3 units of heat for every unit of electricity used for efficiency rates over 300%.” The US Department of Energy affirms that “Because they move heat rather than generate heat, heat pumps can provide equivalent space conditioning at as little as one-quarter of the cost of operating the conventional heating or cooling appliances.”
They Are Selective
- They can be programmed to heat or cool up to seven to eight rooms per condenser through a branch box system, with a thermostat controlling the temperature in each room.
They Are Clean
- Clean: Since there is no combustion with this heating system, no byproducts of combustion are produced, so there is no “carbon footprint.” Additionally, homeowners building a Custom Home Build do not have to store fuel for heating in winter.
They Are Quiet
- Quiet: If you’ve ever lived in a home with hot water baseboard heating, you’ll appreciate this more than most. Just think: Your sleep cycles will no longer be interrupted in the winter by the nearly constant clanking and popping and groaning of the copper pipes expanding and contracting. In the summer, if you have a window-mounted air conditioner, you’ll won’t have to yell to be heard above its constant droning.
They Are Safer
- Safer (Bonus): Speaking of window-mounted air conditioners, mini-split heat pumps are safer in that no one can remove the unit and break into your home through the open window.
For more information, see: https://www.buildinggreen.com/blog/7-tips-get-more-mini-split-heat-pumps-colder-climates, and: http://www.achrnews.com/articles/102091-history-lesson-ductless-has-come-a-long-way
*The term mini-split comes from the fact that the condenser (outside) and the wall cassette (inside) are separated by the refrigerant line. http://www.revisionheat.com/heat-pumps-101-faq/
The ultimate guide to NET ZERO home construction will walk you through the complete process of building a NET ZERO home. In this guide you'll learn:
- The process
- About heating systems
- Solar, Geothermal or wind?
- Choosing the right lighting
- Financial considerations